Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Another Year in Vietnam

As Christmas 2012 approached I realized that just another year had passed. It was more than five years in total that I have been in the country, and it shall be my last two weeks. My flight to Indonesia was booked for January 1st. I will go and prepare things, and I hope that Hang and the kids may join me soon and that we will be able to make the best out of the future. Having made this decision, to move on, was just for exactly this reason, in order to avoid stagnation, in order not to continue what is just mediocre, and to do something new instead, take a new challenge, and never stop moving on, in life, intellectually, with regards to career, family, experiences. As Buddha said, the way is the goal. Here we go.

It was a long and complicated way to and through Vietnam in the past. But looking back, especially the past year brought some stability into life. Family affairs improved, and I learnt that despite all difficulties I was taking care of two beautiful children. And they are the way that I always imagined children should be. I suddenly knew how to do my job well, means how to manage time and to delegate work, I knew how to combine a management position with teaching at university, with friends, family, a bit of traveling and adventured and reading books again. I almost, maybe never entirely, and at that time know yet knowingly, felt actually perfectly at home in Ho Chi Minh City. I had a good job, in a great company, great boss and a great team. Teaching was nice. I had some close friends, not many, but just enough, and the best ones that one could possibly find in the city. In the evening I was pumping hard in that simple small gym; it kept me sane. I had a pool at home. I had a frequent flyer card of Vietnam Airlines. I had all I need. But despite of being off for one month in December, it went all far to fast. Despite all, still, I was and I am restless.

Here a few pictures from the past year that have remained un-posted throughout the blog:

 
Feeling (without knowing) (almost) perfectly at home in
Ho Chi Minh City - District 1 skyline seen from Thu Thiem Bridge
 
Christmas back in 2011 (pictures) was already a year ago, which we had celebrated at home with the Christmas story, a day by the pool…


…and going out to the places where everything is decorated for the families to take photos (and to overcrowd the place)

...this year we kept it simple and actually ignored Christmas for some reason...I think I felt under pressure due to the approaching change.

Hang has had her surgery after a scary stay in the ICU and the scariest time in my life…

…and we were both hoping that our prayers will help us with trust in life and a better future.

I enjoyed the view from our office; also during rainy season…it just got too familiar. I miss the baguette and fresh orange juice in the mornings.

There were industry parties with so called top models or such who wanted to be.

At the uni there was that "relaxation" room. When you name a room that way here, then you'd indeed better make sure that genders are actually segregated to avoid any misunderstanding.

Weekends we spent in downtown Saigon: here Le Duan Boulevard seen from the roof of the Reunifiation Palace...in the background one of those kinds of apartments I would love to own in Saigon.

We went to parks, went to the coffee shop situated in the flight path over Go Vap district approaching Tan Son Nhat Airport…

…flew kites…

…drove around the city on the motorbike…

…just slept at home…

…or went to the zoo and other places to play.

Number One, the yellow one, was my favourite drink during motorbike-wash on an early Saturday afternoon after work or teaching

There was a trip with the team at office to Can Tho in the Mekong Delta

…visiting Cai Rang market…

…temples, and…

...doing hotel inspections. Here, a picture made on another hotel inspection, from the Caravelle, at night, watching down to Dong Khoi Street with Duc Ba Church in the background, and the new Vincom Center and the new Eden mall in the front (forgot it's real name; for me it's still the Eden building)

Boi attempting to play Ukulele…

…and entering pre-school this year…

..celebrating his 4th birthday.

A coffee section with Chris, Chris, Chris and Ann Ha in Phu My Hung

Me on Vietnam Airlines…having missed the only free redemption flight I was ever eligible to


Banh Canh Cua - enjoying a Sunday morning meal at one of the
best crab noodle street food spots of District 4 in Saigon

Trying the ride through Vietnam's newly opened and first tunnel under Saigon River at Thu Thiem

Once again hospitalization for Boi with doctors always seeming to have no clue at all what's wrong with the kids - they don't know what a diagnosis is…


Hang had sparkling eyes when I agreed to come with her to Patin, the skate house and hang-out of her youth. What I witnessed were girls far too young to flirt foreign guys and boys aged 10 smoking cigarettes. But she surprised me through skating like she had never done anything else..

Admiring the wealth of others, regretting missed opportunities and being very balanced and relaxed during my last days in Vietnam, at a stroll through Phu My Hung and the Crescent Mall surroundings with the family

Boi with agricultural products at a regional assets exhibition…

…at the Pham Ngu Lao park where we often went to play
 
Selling an Honda Airblade for the 2nd time in life, almost a bit sad, because it was so reliable

I knew I will be missing the view from my desk at the quirky resort on Thanh Da island…

…and my family. Here on one of our last dinners in 2012, at a beef steak place we use to frequent for years.

I would soon leave the country; leave my second home, leave family and friends. And suddenly I wasn't sure at all whether it is the right thing to do. It all went so fast. I did not leave myself much time to think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home